Museum of Applied Arts


My chosen museum for this week is neither small, nor hidden, but as it receives less publicity than other prestigious museums of Budapest, I thought it definitely deserved a visit and a review. My companion for this week was my godmother, who has taken me to more museums than I could count, and who is essentially responsible for my museum fetishism. We started discussing the purpose of this blog on the way to the Museum of the Applied Arts and we have asserted the following. 


We do not always have huge revelations nor do we have our minds blown every time we visit museums, but these experiences certainly broaden our knowledge. Of course tourists will visit the most prestigious museums first, as they should; however, I do hope that now and then some tourists and even Hungarians get motivated enough to discover the unsung museums of Budapest. 


Back to the point. The museum is located in the city center, easily accessible by the M3 underground or 4/6 tram, on Üllői Street. Although the building is currently under renovation, the main entrance is still in use. The first thing that hit me when I entered the Art Nouveau building was the artistry of the enormous white hall in the middle and the glass dome above.  That sight alone was worth the visit for me.  Needless to say, these photos taken with my mobile phone do not do justice to the beauty of the museum, but my intent has always been to pique my readers’ interest rather than show them everything. 

In the lobby there is a little museum shop stocked with books on art, porcelain tea cup sets, jewelry, post cards, or my favorite, decorative gift wrap paper. There is also a tiny café and their espresso is pretty good. 



The museum was founded with the purpose of raising the standard of artistic crafts and establishing a collection of artifacts to refine the taste of the public. A much needed effort, since the industrial revolution caused a decline in decorative arts. It was the third such institution to be founded in Europe. The permanent exhibition, Collectors and Treasures, highlights the important periods in the history of the museum, as well as its most valuable relics. The collection includes, among other things, donations received from Archduke Joseph Habsburg and creations purchased at the World Exhibitions.




The exhibition displays pieces from all around the world (France, Belgium, Denmark, Scotland...etc.) and it covers several centuries of art so everyone can find something to satisfy their artistic hunger. I especially loved the antique key collection, the decorative furniture, and the astronomical clock. All in all, our visit was time well spent: we learned a lot about applied arts and saw things we had never seen before. Mission accomplished, again. 



Tip:
-  I kindly suggest my dear readers to choose a sunny day for their museum visit to see the cupola in its full glow



Museum of Applied Arts
1091 Budapest, 33-37 Üllői Street
Tuesday-Sunday: 10 am-6 pm

Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.